Thursday, March 7, 2013

Three years have passed since my first college ceramics course and I have passed the test of time, I'm still obsessed with creating with clay and color and so Thinking in Clay was born! I haven't blogged for quite some time and I've realized that it would be nice to start sharing where I'm at in my clay adventures.

I stay-at-home with my two children and when I get a few moments I research clay bodies, glazes, design techniques, sketch, daydream, and then I get my hands muddy in the clay!






My forms are becoming more polished, I'm paying attention to not making the bottoms of my forms too thick, centering has become second nature, I still dislike wedging clay (but I know it's a necessity at times), and I've tried designing with sgraffito, colored slips and underglazes, sprigs, made stamps, lithography transfer and the list of techniques tried goes on and on. So I'll be sharing my successes and disappointments; what works and what doesn't; my favorite tools, clay and glazes; and all the happy little surprises that happen from time to time. This is an art that I feel will take many years to master, but bit by bit, things start to fall into place with practice. Many friends have been made on this journey who have been kind enough to share their skills and expertise.  Enjoy life, get muddy and have fun!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Dora
    Welcome to Mud Colony. I like that blue pot. I be interested in any tips on lithography transfer print on clay if you would like to share.

    ReplyDelete