Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting Back to Business--There's a Story to be Told in Life

So it's official, I have graduated with my Associates in Agriculture and I am ready to be Mom and potter while my husband, Sean, attends college for his engineering degree. I intend to attend Shawnee State part-time in the future, but for now I want to enjoy my babies before they grow-up and leave the nest!

With a couple of friends of mine from school, we have decided to take a shot at selling our pottery pieces at the upcoming Woodland Festival/Summer Solstice Celebration at Serpent Mound in Peebles, Oh. Tuesday, June 21st is arriving quickly and being a newbie in the pottery realm has been a challenge and meditation all of its own. Many of my pieces for sale carry the mystical Serpent on them. The Serpent has some attachment to my interests that is unexplainable.


I have always been a biology geek diving in to try insect identification, pin insects, learn about trees, plants, snakes, birds, fungi, lichens...I LOVE NATURE! I want to learn EVERYTHING about it! :0) One January day in 2010, I decided to take a stroll in Winter's paradise and came across this brilliant green snake in our back woods. Terrified at first, (I liked to study snakes from far away at that time), I quickly realized that it was non-poisonous due to it's narrow head and due to the fact that I knew that it definitely wasn't a Copperhead or Timber Rattler. I acknowledged its presence and tried not to startle it by retreating from it slowly. I have often thought about that day and thought, "Wow! I've never seen such a bright yellow-green snake before!"
That day awakened me into a better appreciation of serpents I guess you could say.



My Serpent pieces keep that amazing Winter encounter from 2010 fresh in my mind. My connection/interest  to Serpent Mound still plays out. Being able to create, design, and fire clay helps bring my memories of all past, visions of the possible future, and love for color, nature and life of the present to the surface. My expressions are felt whole-heartily in my soul. My pottery is my canvas and I am excited to have a bond with earth, fire, wind, and water all in harmony of each other. Many write books of their experiences, dreams, and thoughts of this life. For me, I create my life story with clay and the designs I apply to each piece.Though to some, my works may seem to have many imperfections, but for me they symbolize another challenge or dream that has surfaced into reality.


Many of my posts will start with a story from life that has led me to now. Other posts will be demonstration on techniques I have tried with or without success. Thinking in Clay is a place for me to share my creations, successes and even those errors in hopes of inspiring all to be unique, enjoy life, and know that you can make life what you truly want it to be.


"Creation always begins in the heart, and then it is transferred to the mind".~Drunvalo Melchizedek, Serpent of the Light Beyond 2012

Other blogs by Dora L. Anderson can be found here:
http://dorasquest.blogspot.com/
http://insectobsession-doraanderson.blogspot.com/



1 comment:

  1. Dora,
    This blog entry was a great and beautiful collage of words and images, both of them artwork of your heart. So glad we met at Germania festival!

    ReplyDelete