Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Finally, my little kiln is firing and I can't wait to see what treasures will be pulled from the fire! In this batch, I'm testing samples of a new cone 4-6 clay from Standard, 211 Hazelnut Brown, that Julie from Standard Clay was so nice to send me. It throws wonderfully, has a fine grog, a super smooth glazing surface, and the description says it reacts well with glaze, so here's hoping I've found my main clay body! I've tried so many and this will be a whole new blog to write up in the future.

My table was a glazing station yesterday and today I start a whole new round of creations, working from my goal list for the next 2-3 weeks.



 I find that making lists save me from those indecisive moments that I tend to have when deciding what I  should make next. Too many creative ideas are fluttering about my head this time of year; weather is warming, spring is here, birds are chirping, frogs are peeping--a newness or rebirth is taking place, and if you're a parent with little ones to school and keep busy- well, I just find there aren't many hours in the day to fit everything in! Lists are a MUST to keep me grounded and on track.


Working in small batches of each item (10-15 pieces at a time), I will make a few mugs, bud vases, large jars, and bowls these next few weeks, sharing the techniques and finished work with you as I go along. Inspiration isn't hard for me to find this time of year, that's for sure! I'll leave you with a couple of spring photos from 2012, beautiful Ash Cave in Ohio. One of my favorite places to visit when I need refueled.

I hope inspiration finds you and happy spring to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment