Thursday, July 4, 2013

Oval Platter Forms-Functional Art

Platters are a wonderful way to add functional art and decoration in the home. I've recently been asked to revisit the oval form and so I've decided to blog about it this time around!

 To the left: The platter shown below, "Elemental Bliss", photographed to show its functional use.

 To the right: This stoneware platter is part of my own personal collection. Amaco Potter's Choice glazes are used upon this piece along with my hand-carved stamps around the rim.



I use a plaster mold for my oval forms that I made in college. This mold is perfect sized13"x9"x2" (fits into my small kiln) and is a drape mold, meaning I can carefully "drape" a slab of clay into the form. I work the clay to fit the form and  form the rim while the clay is in the mold. Once the clay has become leather-hard, I remove it from the form and smooth the bottom. Sometimes I choose to add a foot ring and other times I choose to keep it simple and gently flatten the bottom for it to sit on its own.

I love working with this oval form, its a wonderful canvas to add underglaze designs, stencil work, slip trailed designs, majolica, stamped design and so many other design techniques may easily be implemented onto the surface of the platter form.



To the right: This was a fun decorative platter that I made from earthenware clay and Amaco GDC glazes (now discontinued).  Two butterfly soulmates find love under the stars and the falling leaves of Autumn's breeze. Handpainted design.









To the left: This fun design was made during my first year of ceramics at Southern State Community College. Titled "Elemental Bliss", it is made of white stoneware and Duncan glazes. It's a part of SSCC's permanent art collection.






These are just a few ideas to get you inspired to work with this lovely oval form. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and may inspiration find you happy and smiling!


http://mudcolony.blogspot.com.au/






1 comment:

  1. You've inspired me to have a crack at making a platter. I've been thinking about it for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I love your prawn dish!

    ReplyDelete